Friday, October 3, 2014

Halloween Traditions -31 Days of Halloween-Day 3

'Ello Lovelies,
 Enjoying the season so far? For day 3, I'm sharing some Halloween traditions we carry out in our home. I can't seem to get photos from my phone to my laptop tonight, no matter which way I try it. So please excuse the non-existent pictures. They will be on here as soon as I can get them!

1. Decorate
On October 1st, I always take a half day at work (if I need it). I go home, dig through my storage shed, or as the husband calls it "The Halloween Shed". Then I pull out the many storage bins and proceed to decorate the house. Every year I do something a little different. I rearrange items and make sure that each item is cozy in it's own spot.

2. Homemade Decorations
Next to vintage, homemade decorations are my favorite! Thanks to Pinterest, it's become very easy to have access to incredible ideas too. Some as easy as printing, cutting and framing! So of course I have a growing collection of hand-made decorations. Some that were made with my great grandmothers hands.

3. Homemade Costumes
 Our household doesn't believe in pre-made Halloween costumes. What's the fun in that?! It's so much more satisfying and FUN to plan and create your own costume. Bonus points for using items you already have! We usually start planning our costumes in July.

4. Haunted Tour
 Ghost or Haunted Tours are perfect for strolling around outside and enjoying a spooky tale. It'll get you in the festive spirit in no time! Not a vacation goes by that I don't take a ghost tour. We've visited New Orleans, Las Vegas, Salem, Boston, Galveston, Eureka Springs, and I have to say that the most "activity" I've seen is in the small town of Jefferson, TX. It is overflowing with spirits. This year, I'm looking for a tour in Dallas.

5. Halloween stories by candle-light
Halloween stories are always fun, especially by candle-light. The candle casts a ghostly glow that makes even a children's book a little more creepy. Have some extra fun by creating spooky shadow puppets in the light on the wall.

6. Seek out the latest Halloween goodies
Much like Linus waiting for The Great Pumpkin, I impatiently wait for the Halloween decor to hit the shelves in my favorite stores. Hobby Lobby and Michaels humor me by putting out Halloween decor in July. Garden Ridge (At Home Store) soon follows. Target usually has my favorite decor though! The local Target knows to expect me in on September 1st for Halloween. They even hold items they think I'll like.
This year I've got my eye on those Halloween putz houses, the Halloween diorama, and the skeletal cat! Anything you're looking forward to purchasing? A favorite Halloween line from a store?

7. Sample Halloween treats
 The treats that are released at Halloween can't be beat! Pumpkin spice everything is on the shelf. Currently, I've been campaigning for Colgate to make a pumpkin spice toothpaste. Could you imagine?! Anyway, this year I've sampled some Halloween treats that will be featured on the blog. ;)

9. Leaf Pumpkins
 A favorite tradition from my childhood would be these Pumpkin Yard Bags. We would rake the entire yard and fill the smallest pumpkin with whatever leaves we had in our sparse Oklahoman yard. The rest we'd fill with old plastic bags from the grocery store. It's been years since I've been able to find them. I have just recently found some on Amazon and at an Estate Sale. It's going to be really hard using the Estate Sale find, since they are from 1979! Definitely try these guys from Amazon out. They are sure to bring a smile to your face.

10. Trick or Treat
The best Halloween tradition of all! Over the years, I've noticed that Trick or Treating has gone to the side, in favor of "carnivals" or trunk or treat. We need to bring traditional trick or treating back! When I say Trick or Treat, I mean going door to door in a safe neighborhood with the golden ultimatum "Trick or treat, smell my feet. Give me something good to eat!" Ahh yes, demanding candy from complete strangers? What a glorious thing! It's a tradition for me to take Bumpkin trick or treating.We go door to door until we can't hold our bags anymore. Usually our feet get tired before we give in.

11. Eat as much candy as possible
 Of course with trick or treating comes tons of candy. We sort through it, sometimes color coordinate, eating our favorite as we go. Then we have a free for all for the next 24 hours, usually making ourselves sick. Then we pick out 5 of our favorites and put the rest out for The Great Pumpkin to take for next year. He usually leaves little toys and activities for Bumpkin and myself in return.


That's it! What Halloween traditions do you have?
Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment