Thursday, October 2, 2014

Halloween Movies for Kids : 31 Days of Halloween-Day 2

Hello Spooklings and Ghouls,
 Is everyone enjoying the beginning of the most wonderful time of year??
In our house-hold there are few things we hold more dear than our movie collection and Netflix subscription. (I'm only half kidding, me and Netflix are on first names basis now.). So with our love of film and tv, it goes without saying that Halloween is celebrated with lots of movie watching!
Recently my 8 year old brother, Bumpkin moved in with us. It's been an absolute adjustment since we don't have kids.
He loves Halloween as much as I do but Bumpkins presence has halted my horror movie marathons. I now watch those after he is tucked away and fast asleep in his bed. With his excitement, I've considered family friendly Halloween flicks and thought I'd share them with you. Some of these are Halloween specials from my childhood and some are movies that are available on DVD.



1. Garfields Halloween Adventure:
 There is a little back-story to this pick. When I was little, I'd visit my grandma every other weekend. Grandma's house was a magical place, worthy of it's own post. So I won't dwell to much on those visits but I will say, no place has ever come close to Grandma's house. She lived in the middle of mountains and didn't have that phenomenon known as a cable television. Her friends would record tv specials and cartoons for us girls (my sister and myself). Garfield's Halloween Adventure was one of those VHS tapes that we watched one Halloween night with our Grandma. It brings back warm memories of popcorn, cuddling on the couch under an knit blanket with tree branches scarping the window and the wind howling outside.Plus who would resist the lazy, Monday hating yellow tabby known as Garfield?
 Garfield's Halloween Adventure is an excellent movie to introduce kids to Halloween night.

_________________________________________________________________________________



2. It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown
 I can totally relate to Linus and his impatient wait for the return of the Great Pumpkin. In the months leading up to October I feel like him. Impatiently waiting for the time of year where I feel somewhat normal for my general spooky zaniness. "ITGPCB" is not my favorite Halloween movie, it;s not even my top 10. Aside from being able to relate to Linus, I really don't like the movie. I have chosen it simply because Bumpkin LOVES Charlie Brown and his group of friends.


_________________________________________________________________________________



3. Halloweentown 1, 2, & 3
Am I the only one who wanted to live in Halloweentown? I still do! I legitimately get bummed every time I watch it because Halloweentown is so amazing. Every movie in this series is absolute Halloween.



_________________________________________________________________________________




4. Hocus Pocus
 I'm just going to go ahead and say it. I am the fourth Sanderson Sister. These ladies are like the long lost wicked, spooky, slightly perturb witch girls that have been missing from my life. Every year they visit and it's so wonderful catching up. We bust out the brooms and vacuum cleaner, hit the town and sing to little children. ;) Thackery Binx was also my first crush (in boy form, of course). The rendition of "I Put a Spell on You" is the best I've ever heard and poor Billy Butcherson... bless his soul. This movie is everything you want in a Halloween movie: witty, quirky, kitschy, spooky, and funny.

_________________________________________________________________________________



5. Sleepy Hollow (Disney)
 It's now time to be honest. I didn't like Sleepy Hollow until I was in my teens. It scared the bajeesus out of my as a kid. The Sanderson Sisters? They were my girls. The Ghostbusters? My friends. Even Jason (ala Friday the 13th) was part of my imaginary friend brood... but for some reason Sleepy Hollow scared me. I've since fallen in love with this movie, the Johnny Depp version, the tv series and even the book by Washington Irving. This movie has been tested out on other children and they don't seem to be as scared... so maybe the Headless Horseman isn't so scary afterall. It's hard to believe this movie was made in 1949. It's a goldie for any Halloween collection.

_________________________________________________________________________________


6. The Real Ghostbusters: When Halloween was Forever
It's hard to do a Halloween feature without mentioning one of my childhood favorites. The Real Ghostbusters were the best! The villains were always so unique in the fact that they weren't copied and pasted as filler. The "Army of the Night" in this episode was proof of that. Let's not forget Samhain, a true villain and Lord of the Army of the Night. He and his pumpkin-head can still kick rocks.



_________________________________________________________________________________


7. The Simpsons: Treehouse of Horror
 A Halloween staple in our house, I look forward to the Simpsons Halloween special every year. Even since I was a little trick-or-treater, I'd settle down long enough to enjoy these episodes. It's really hard to pick a favorite, they are all so good!





_________________________________________________________________________________

That's my list! I hope you like it! I'm curious what your favorites are? There are several kid friendly movies that come out around Halloween but I wanted this feature to be specific to Halloween in some way.
Happy Haunting Lovelies!
Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment